Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy thanksgiving!

Happy merry thanksgiving! I thought today it would only be appropriate to take about what I’m thankful for. To keep it related to this blog I though I should only talk about music and recording related items.

I’m thankful for software, which is both a blessing and a curse. I have recently been thinking about this. I have software that came free with my soundcard but I have felt it lacked some features, mainly with VSTi of EZDrummer and not being able to drag and drop it. This has forced me to look for alternates. First I though about Cuabse, and went out and downloaded Cubase SX 3 using bit torrent. I know, I know I broke the law, but I really only had intentions on testing it out and figured eventually I would purchase a legal copy. That is until I saw price. I have since uninstalled it. I have done the same with cakewalk Sonar and have also uninstalled it.

I’m thankful for good inexpensive software. Since the professional mainstream applications are a bit out of my price range I decided to look at some alternates. I found to rather inexpensive programs that do alto of what the big boys do like Cubase and Sonar. One I Reaper which for a non-commercial license is $50 ant the other is n-Track Studio which is $64 for a license. Both seemed to work win EZDrummer. I am going to attempt to stay “Clean” as far a software licenses go and plan on reviewing both of these in a later post.

I’m thankful for cheap imported guitars. I love cheap imported guitars. You can create all sorts of different sounds and feeling out a cheap imported guitar and be easy on the wallet. Figuring that I usually pick my guitars up second hand I can get them even cheaper.

I’m thankful for stable PC hardware. In the eternal Mac vs. PC battle, I firmly believe that the PC as a hardware platform is much more flexible that the Mac. Look at an online retailer like Newegg or tiger direct. They carry Hundreds of motherboards, video cards, printer’s memory, etc. now go over to the Mac section or the Mac store and lets compare what my options are if I own a Mac. There is no comparison. Then look at price. Proof that competition lowers prices.

Well I hope every one has a good Thanksgiving!! But I do think they will be changing the name of thanks giving to “Christmas Kickoff” some time in the near future.

No comments: