64 Studio is supposed to be ideal configured for audio, video and graphics work. It features JACK Audio Connection Kit, Ardour, Hydrogen and Rosegarden. Each application is very powerful and could replace commercial professional grade programs such as Cubase or Sonar. May I could not wait to get this downloaded so I could try it out.
I had previously downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 but had not had a chance to use it. I was initially going to install in and 1 GHz machine and use it as a file server. I pulled out the CD and set it off to the side incase 64 Studio had some issues.
So I popped in 64 Studio rebooted my computer and ran through the installation which took about 30 minutes or so. When I was all done I booted up to a nice and colorful black screen. i figured Xorg had failed but could not see anything in the log files. Also it did not seem to have vi so I could not attempt to change the xorg.config file. I booted back into windows and check a forum off 64 studios main site and found that someone else had the same issue but did not see a clear fix. Rather than spend hours trying to fix it I gave up and tried Ubuntu.
I know Ubuntu very well and there motto is “Linux for Human Beings” and it a very simple and easy to use distribution. I booted off the Live CD and begin the installation. It went really smooth. 20 minutes later I booted into my new Linux OS and started tinkering around to make sure my hard ware worked. And wouldn’t you know my sound card is not being recognized. I am using the E-ME 0404 card. Again rather than comb the corners of the internet to find a solution I decided to scrap it all together.
This was a very frustrating night. Being a musician I do have a bit of a rebellious side to me. Nothing would give me greater pleasure that to “stick it to the Man”. But in my experience with my hardware I just could not do it quire yet. I’m going to keep my eyes open and when I find something that will support my hardware I may give it another go, but until then I’m going to have to settle for Windows.
No comments:
Post a Comment